Did you know that 3 million people have implants and that number is increasing by 500, 000 a year? According to American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID), the success rate of dental implants is revealed by research as 98%. Moreover, dental implant and prosthetic market in the US is calculated to reach $6.4 billion by 2018 and the global prosthetic supplies market is projected to reach $4 billion by 2018. With this skyrocketing number, dental implants can be considered as one of the biggest overtures in the field of dentistry.
What Are Dental Implants?
AAID defined dental implants as synthetic tooth roots inserted into the jaw to replace missing teeth. This implants are made of titanium and was discovered way back in 1957 by a Swedish orthopedic surgeon named Dr. Per-Ingvar Branemark. He discovered that bones can develop when placed juxtaposition with titanium and can combine with it without being rejected. This phenomenon is called “osseointegration”. Dr. Thomas Taylor and Dr. William Laney described osseointegration as bone connection, quoting: The metal or ceramic part of the implant is placed into your jawbone, then the bone attaches itself directly to the implant, growing all around it and supporting it firmly.
Why Dental Implants?
- It replaces tooth root, thus preserving the jawbone. A jawbone weakens and falls apart when it is not able to perform its function of supporting a tooth.
- It doesn’t affect adjacent teeth. Dental implants do not necessitate reducing other teeth. Thus other teeth are left intact.
- It is devised to be permanent. In comparison to dental bridges which can last for an average of 10 years, dental implants can last a lifetime when accurately well taken care of.
- Boost your self-confidence. Dental implants remove your worries and insecurities of smiling without teeth. Thus, making you feel better and allowing you to enjoy life.
- Improves chewing ability. Dental implants were designed to allow your teeth to fuse with bones. Thus it is fixed in its position making chewing and eating easier. You will not worry about sliding dentures anymore.
- Cavity free. There is no room for a cavity in an implant tooth, but measures should be taken to clean and care for it.
Say yes to dental implants! Don’t miss out on life because of missing teeth.