Bonding is a technique that improves the appearance of your teeth by the direct application of the tooth-colored composite resin. Bonding is typically used for repairing chipped or cracked teeth, hiding stained areas on the tooth's surfaces or closing the gaps in between teeth.
Bonding can also be used to change the size or shape of your teeth, creating a smile that appears more symmetrical, space free and aesthetically pleasing. Unlike crowns or porcelain veneers, composite bonding removes little, if any, of the original tooth. Although bonding may not be as long lasting as porcelain veneers or crowns, it can last for a number of years with proper care.
Bonding is an option that is considered in the following situations:
- Repair decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities)
- Repair chipped or cracked teeth
- Improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- Close spaces between teeth
- Make teeth look longer
- Change the shape of teeth
- Use as a cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings
- Protect a portion of the tooth's root that has been exposed when gums recede
Bonding can be used in a variety of ways. Some of the more common applications are as follows:
- Filling a cavity or decayed tooth
- Correcting discolored tooth
- Filling gaps between teeth
- Repairing minor chips or cracks
- Reshape your tooth (to look more squarish)
If you are looking for composite bonding for your teeth or need an advice from our dentist call us at (212) 826-0505 to schedule your appointment today!