The primary purpose of a Root Canal Treatment is to save the patient’s tooth from extraction. Preserving the natural tooth can prevent the other teeth from shifting, receding gums and bone loss. Here at Paul L. Gregory DDS, we help stop the infection from progressing while keeping the natural teeth through our Root Canal Treatment.
Root Canal Treatment is the procedure that involves the removal of the tooth’s infected pulp which is composed of nerves and blood vessels. Pulp breaks down when it is damaged; thus causing bacteria build-up and infection inside the tooth. If left untreated, the infection will spread which can affect the surrounding tissues that may lead to the formation of an abscess.
Root Canal Treatment can be performed to prevent:
- Bone loss around the tip of the infected tooth
- Hole to appear at the side of a tooth
- Swelling of the face, neck, and head
Procedure for a Root Canal Treatment:
The root canal procedure is performed by a dentist that specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental pulp problems called an Endodontist. It typically requires two dental appointments to be completed.
- For a painless procedure, a local anesthetic is administered to numb the treatment area. A dental dam (small sheet of rubber) is then placed to keep the area dry and clean throughout the whole procedure.
- An opening is created once the numbing takes effect to access the infected pulp. The pulp along with decayed nerve tissues and related debris is extracted using small files. The files can also be used to shape the inner chamber of the tooth and root. The chamber is then washed with water or sodium hypochlorite to flush out any remaining debris.
- Once the chamber is cleaned and dried, it will be filled with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha. The access hole is then sealed using a dental filling, and a crown can also be placed to protect and restore the tooth’s function.
The common misconception about root canal treatment is that the procedure is painful. What people do not know is the procedure itself is not painful, and that helps eliminate the extreme pain caused by infected pulp.
Feel confident and healthy with your teeth! Paul L. Gregory DDS is happy to be of service to our patients for all their dental care needs including Root Canal Treatment in New York. We are located at 57 West 57th Street Suite #804, New York, NY 10019. You may contact us to schedule your appointment.